Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mochakottai kuzhambu (Brown beans Curry)


Mochakottai kulambu has been one of my favorites since childhood and the recipe I am sharing today has been passed on to me by my mom and I am very sure that it was from my grandma. Most of my childhood memories are with my grandparents and so I distinctly remember even the vessel that my grandma used to serve this kulambu. She used to make this kulambu with different mocha (beans), but my favorite was the black beans with brinjal (eggplant).
The week after my wedding, my mom quickly wrote down some easy recipes for daily south Indian cooking. It been more than 5 years and I still have her recipes in paper form. I decided to start my blog with my mother's recipes.


This is my first blog ever and so I appreciate your patience.

Ingredients:
Any dry Beans ½ cup · Bringal (eggplant) 4-5 · Onion medium 1 · Tomato medium 2 · Chili Powder 1-2 Tbsp. · Dania Powder 1-2 Tbsp. · Tamarind 25g · Shredded coconut 2-3 Tbsp. Curry leaves 4-5 Green Chili 2-3 · Gingely Oil 5 tbsp. · Salt to taste · Coriander leaves for garnishing

Soak the beans overnight or at least 3-4 hours. Cook the beans in the pressure cooker until 2 whistles if soaked overnight and 3 whistles if soaked for 3-4 hours.
Meanwhile, cut the onion and tomato into small pieces along with the eggplant. Add 2 tbsp. of oil in a deep dish (Kadhi) and fry onion until it turns brown. Add ginger and garlic and fry for 2 minutes and then add the tomato and fry for 5 minutes on medium heat. Now add the vegetable to the mixture and enough water to cook. Once the vegetable is cooked, add the boiled beans, chili and Dania powder, salt and the tamarind pulp.

Let the kuzhambu boil for 5 minutes or until it becomes thick. Now add the shredded coconut and coriander leaves and boil for 2-3 minutes before switching off the stove.
Garnish with some coriander leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment